Sunday 8 July 2018

Obedience

When I woke up on that bright Sunday morning I did not know that was to be the worst day of my life. It started off as just another Sunday. After grabbing some biscuits to munch, I decided to have some fun with my new roller-blades. They were given to me by my uncle on my eleventh birthday. I was not very good at the sport but strangely, everything went smoothly that morning. That was why I disobeyed my parents.
If I had only listened to their advice, I would not be what am I today. My parents would only allow me to play with my roller-blades on the driveway of my house and they had told me often enough not to use them on the road. But I was so confident that morning that I forgot their warning and ventured on to the road.
I was enjoying myself for about fen minutes when I saw a car speeding down the road towards me. I wanted to move to the side of the road but somehow I lost my balance. I hurt my knee and although I fried to get up I could not. Before I knew what was happening, the car hit me and I was thrown ten meters away. Then I lost consciousness and the next thing I knew was I was in a hospital. My family members were gathered around my bed. They kept on telling me that everything was going to be all right but their anxious faces told me a different story. It took me a while to realize that I could not move my right leg.
I looked down at my leg but it was not there. What I saw was a bandage at the knee and there was nothing else below if. I screamed and shouted for perhaps a minute. If took the doctor and two strong strong male nurses to hold me down. Then I felt a needle penetrating the skin of my left arm. I knew I was given an injection. Slowly, everything went dark.
When I woke up the next morning the first person that I saw was my mother. She had obviously stayed at my side the whole night and she looked old and worried. She held my hand and fold me that I had lost my right leg in the accident. I was too shocked to cry.
For a long time after that I was filled with self-pity. I kept on asking myself why if had to happen to me. When the doctor encouraged me to walk with crutches, I yelled at him. I made everybody including my family very miserable. It was not easy to face life with only one leg.
I am thankful now that my family were there when I needed them most. Despite my rude behaviour, theystood byme and encouraged me to use the crutches. That was more than a year ago. Now, I am fitted with an artificial leg and am learning how to walk with if. All I want to do now is to tell other young people that sometimes their parents know best. As for me, I will never be able to roller-blade again. But if you still have two good legs to do so, make sure that you do it at a safe place..
.
#mystery
#short.

1 comment:

Post a Comment